COP28: The Federal Ministry of Education and Research at the 2023 Climate Change Conference
The 28th UNFCCC Conference of the Parties (COP28) will take place in Dubai, United Arab Emirates, from 30 November to 12 December 2023.
COP28 will focus on the first Global Stocktake under the Paris Agreement. The goals of the agreement are:
- limit global warming to well below 2°C compared to pre-industrial levels (the target is below 1.5°C),
- to enable climate-neutral development and adaptation to the consequences of climate change,
- to orientate international financial flows towards such climate-neutral and sustainable development.
The Global Stocktake, which takes place every five years, provides the Parties with information on their joint progress towards achieving these goals. The purpose of the stocktake is to increase global efforts in order to achieve these goals after all. Other focus topics at the COP are climate financing and the design of the new fund for loss and damage.
The climate policy negotiations will be accompanied by a climate fair at which a wide range of stakeholders can exchange views on the implementation of the Paris Agreement. The Federal Ministry of Education and Research (BMBF) and BMBF-funded research measures will be involved in various activities. The core message will be: Successful climate policy needs climate research, because research provides orientation for fact-based political decisions. Reliable observation data is an important building block, and research and innovation also play a key role in the development of solutions to combat climate change and effective approaches to adapting to the increasingly obvious consequences.
Side events in the German Pavilion:
All side events in the German Pavilion will be streamed live on the platform www.german-climate-pavilion.de and can also be viewed afterwards.
- 1 December 2023, 10:00-11:30: scientific side event "Trust through transparency: A German contribution through the Integrated Greenhouse Gas Monitoring System (ITMS)"
- 1 December 2023, 16:30-18:00: scientific side event on CDR
- 8 December 2023, 18:30-20:00: Science for Action Evening
Side Events in other pavilions:
- 6 December 2023, 17:00-18:15: Side Event "Synergies and trade-offs in climate neutral and healthy cities – How to combine adaptation and mitigation measures" (WHO Health Pavilion